Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Family Table: the rescuing hug

The Family Table: the rescuing hug:
 I got this from a fellow blogger that I follow and felt that I needed to share it with my readers as well. <3

 My 6 year old daughter Eve came home with a backpack full of notes from her school on Thursday.  This story with photo was among the papers.  It was sent home to remind parents of the power of a hug.  Easy enough to remember to hug our small children, but honestly in a busy week I sometimes forget that my teenage son needs a hug everyday too.  Did anyone hug him today?  Now I make a point to hug all my children before they leave and when they arrive home and sometimes just because.  This story was published in Reader's Digest, May 1996.  I was so touched by this I had to share...
In their first week of life, twins Kyrie and Brielle were separated in their respective incubators and one was not expected to live.  A hospital nurse fought against the hospital rules and placed the babies in one incubator.  When they were placed together, the healthier of the two threw an arm over her sister in an endearing embrace.  The smaller baby's heart rate stabilized and her temperature rose to normal.
They both survived and are thriving.  In fact, the two girls went home to share a crib and still snuggle.  The hospital changed their policy after they saw the effect of putting the two girls together and now they bed multiples together.
Let us not forget to embrace those whom we love and never underestimate the power of a hug!

1 comment: